On October 13, 2018 I lived the dream of competing in the Ironman World Championship in Kailua-Kona Hawaii and finished 6th in the 75-79 age group. Ever since I saw my son, Tim Hola, compete in his first of 16 Ironman World Championships at Kona in 1999, being in the Pacific Ocean at the swim start of the Ironman World Championship was where I wanted to be. To get to Kona, my son, Tim, advised me that I needed a top-notch coach. He highly recommended Kelly Fillnow of Fillnow Coaching. Kelly coached me to first place in my age group at Ironman Texas North American Championship in Houston, Texas April 28, 2018. This qualified me for Kona. Kelly then began the process of preparing me for the biggest race of my life. My praise for Kelly’s coaching skills is a long list and here it is:
- Always has encouraging words.
- Understands athletes’ capabilities and develops training plans to match.
- Responds promptly to feedback and makes adjustments to training.
- Develops an effective rehabilitation plan when injuries occur.
- Understands the importance of recovery and nutrition.
- Makes training and racing fun.